Mental health is related to our cognitive, emotional and behavioural activities. It is related to how people think, feel and behave. People usually use the term mental health to refer to the absence of a mental disorder. Mental health is such a thing which can affect our daily life, relationships and physical health. There are so many other factors that can affect the mental health of humans. Good mental health leads to a good life.
There are some conditions such as anxiety, stress and depression that can affect our mental health and ruin our peace of mind. Even though mental health is common in all of us. Sometimes, doctors find some psychological disorders which have physical roots. Through definitions of well-known people and authorities, we will first understand what is the exact definition of mental health.
According to WHO, “Mental health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.”
As per Psychology, Mental health includes our emotional, psychological and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
WHO emphasizes that mental health is more than just the absence of mental disorders or disabilities. Peak mental health is all related to not only avoiding active conditions but also looking after happiness and ongoing wellness. In this digital world, we all have to use the best health apps to remain active in 2021.
Mental Health Facts and Statistics
- 33% of adults in the United States experienced stress, anxiety and great sadness that was difficult to cope with alone since the start of the covid-19 outbreak.
- As of March 24, 2020, around 37% of Canadian adults reported feeling lonely in the past week due to coronavirus.
- As per the National Alliance on Mental Illness estimate that almost 1 in 5 adults experience mental health problems each year.
- In 2017, an estimated 11.2 million adults in the U.S. or about 45% of adults had a severe psychological condition as per National Institute of Mental Health.
- From December 9 to December 21, around 37% of U.S. adults reported symptoms of anxiety disorder in the past week.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
There are no physical tests which can tell us whether that person has developed a mental disorder or not. But there are some early signs which can clearly depict the beginning of mental disorders:
- Withdrawing from friends, family and colleagues for a long time.
- Avoiding normal activities which lead to enjoyment
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Eating too much or too little
- Feeling Hopeless
Other Crucial signs
- Having consistently low energy
- Having mood changes
- Displaying negative thoughts
- Being confused
- Being unable to complete the task
- Having continuous remembering of memories and thoughts
- Thinking of causing physical harm to others
- Hearing voices
- Experience delusions
The Best 8 Mental Health Apps of 2021
Moodfit is one of the best mental health apps for youth which can adapt itself based on your goals. It has the ability to scan daily progress. It offers visual insights with actionable exercises. It offers daily reminders to keep you on the track. It is customizable as per your needs and goals. It is available on Google Play and is one of the best free mental healthcare apps. Developers and app development companies are now focusing on mental health apps.
- Moodfit offers you a secure, robust and detailed record of all your mood-related activities. You can use a passcode to protect your account.
- Charts that show the relationship between your mood and other factors like sleep and exercise.
- CBT thoughts record to change negative thinking.
- Tools to help you build a gratitude or mindfulness meditation practice. Breathing exercise to provide immediate relief in stressful situations.
MoodMission: One of the best Apps for Anxiety
The moodmission app is developed by health professionals. It is supported by randomized controlled trials. In-app rewards to increase motivation are also given. Mood-boosting activities when you are low or anxious are also part of the moodmission app. Evidence-based CBT activities for depression and anxiety are also offered by the app.
- Mindfulness Meditations
- Relaxation and Yoga
- Exercise and Fitness Activities
- Behavioral Activation and Gratitude
Talkspace: App for Mental Health
Talkspace provides the ability to talk to a licensed mental health professional. Therapists can diagnose and treat different conditions. Good range of available price options is there. There are numerous ways to talk to therapists. All the conversations are private and secure. They are carefully trained and have over 3000 hours of clinical experience.
Key features of Healthcare Apps
- Talkspace is the most convenient and affordable way to improve your mental health. You can get matched with a licensed therapist in your state from the comfort of your device and message via text, audio and video.
- All subscription plans come with unlimited messaging and you can even choose to add live video sessions.
- You can change therapist and stop subscription renewal at any time. You can tell your preference for therapy.
- 81% of participants felt talkspace is as effective or better than in-person therapy.
Sanvello: One of the best Stress Relief Apps
The savello is one of the best mental health apps for youth that offers effective supported by research. Cots may be covered by mental health insurance. It provides different options based on our need. It allows us to connect with peers who understand what you are going through. It has the ability to give you access to a licensed therapist when you need more support.
Key Features of Healthcare Apps
- It offers free access through health plans with insurance providers. 37 million Americans have premium access to sanvello covered by their health plan and sanvello therapy.
- Get clinically validated techniques to help you manage your moods and thoughts so you can understand what works for you to feel better.
- Daily mood tracking, guided journeys, coping tools, meditations and progress assessments help you find when you need it and feel better over time.
- Anonymous participation in active discussion boards and chat groups in the sanvello community.
Happify: App for Mental Health
The app offers great integration focusing on a variety of individualized goals. Different tracks that focus on specific areas of life. All the things developed by experts including therapists and coaches. It helps you to better understand your moods and emotions. It encourages you to feel more present and live in the moment.
- Conquering with negative thoughts
- Coping better with stress
- Fueling your career success
- Achieving mindfulness through meditation
Depression CBT self Guide: Mental Health Apps Free
The app teaches simple activities that are easy to do. It promotes calm with activities and audio elements. It offers feedback on symptom severity. It contains lots of mental health information. It gives free access to all content and activities. It provides education on depression and the best strategies for managing the symptoms. It is the best mental health apps for android. If you want to develop your own app, you can hire an android app development company.
Key Features: Best mental health apps free
- Screening test with the graph to monitor the severity of depressed mood.
- Articles about clinical depression and cognitive behavioural therapy
- 50 Suggestions from CBT with a tracking feature to help focus positively and motivate.
- Depression assistance audio to help understand clinical depression
Headspace: One of the best Healthcare Apps
It offers access meditation options for people of all skill levels. Great selection of informational content available to all users. It often has promotions for free or discounted memberships. It is quick and easy to use. It tracks and sees your daily meditation progress. It was started by Andy puddicombe.
Key Features of Healthcare Apps
- Over 40 meditation courses on topics like stress and sleep
- Dozens of one-off exercises to add mindfulness to your day
- Short, mini-meditations- great for busy schedules
- Full access to sleep by headspace and move mode
Shine: One of the best Stress Relief Apps
The app offers access to peer community additional support. It empowers tools and activities for self-improvement. It provides topics focussed on BIOPIC mental health. Calming tools for crisis moments. It has activities on empirical research. Shine is a female focussed self-care app to help users, rest, heal and grow through difficulty.
- It delivers motivational messages through text and audio.
- It offers an inclusive community so you can connect with other members.
- It contains topics like stress, anxiety, burnout, frustrations and all.
- The app provides mediations, gratitude and a daily mood tracker.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we discussed what mental health is, its statistics, early signs and 8 best mental health apps which can diagnose your mental health. We hope you find the article useful and informative.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is mental health?
We all have mental health which is made up of our beliefs, thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
Can you prevent mental health problems?
We can all suffer mental health challenges but developing our wellbeing, resilience and seeking help early can help prevent challenges becoming serious.
Are there cures for mental health?
It is often more realistic and helpful to find out what helps with the issues you face. Talking, counselling, medication, friendships, exercise, good sleep and nutrition, and meaningful occupation can all help.
What causes mental health problems?
Challenges or problems with your mental health can arise from psychological, biological, and social issues as well as life events.
How do I Know if I’m unwell?
If your beliefs, thoughts, feelings or behaviours have a significant impact on your ability to function in what might be considered a normal or ordinary way, it would be important to seek help.